HAPPILY EVER AFTER

HAPPILY EVER AFTER

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG

Emil and I just got back from our little vacation to Williamsburg. We had a great time with our friends. I took pictures of Colonial Williamsburg that I want to share with you. I hope to give you a glimpse into American History.

Emil is still working on how to put pictures into the text, so they will again follow my remarks.

One of the interesting things I saw was a ceramic object that the colonists attached to their homes so birds could make their nests. I've never seen anything like it before and can you imagine the interior design inside the bird house!

The architecture is fascinating. The textures and colors of the brick are fabulous. Walking down Duke of Gloucester Street you pass by taverns, homes, businesses and shops as they were in Colonial Times, as local citizens in authentic costumes do the storytelling. The horse carriages are beautiful and the kids were taken with the real life aroma! All in all it's a wonderful day of interest and fun for the entire family

Naturally, because this is the USA, there is a fun shopping area. Some of the stores are national chains, but the interesting ones are quaint little boutiques selling all sorts of items from luxurious silk throws to funky hats! I found some gems that I wanted to share with you. There were two mirrors that were interesting, of course my silly mind thought they would make wonderful tables with the right bases. Or---great trays on a large ottoman or table! The throw was made of leather and silk. Great texture with a soft color combination. After the Holidays I'm hoping to find a faux fur throw, so I walked away from that item.

Hope you catch the "Aroma" in one shot and don't you just love the items in the last!

I just snapped my way around the entire afternoon and hope you enjoy my little picture show.

Will get back to serious design topics next week.


DESIGN HINT

REMEMBER ----- LESS IS MORE

Just like dressing for success ---- Look around your room --- eliminate one item. A dish or bowl, (whatever) now look--- a cleaner look!



EMIL AND I ARE WORKING ON A QUESTION AND ANSWER SECTION. UNTIL THEN I WILL ANSWER QUESTIONS ON THE COMMENT PAGE WHERE THE QUESTION WAS ASKED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE SET UP AND WORKING BY NEXT WEEK.

Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment